When visiting this page, the web server automatically logs log files. This data includes for example, browser type and version, operating system used, referrer URL (previously visited page), IP address of the requesting computer, server request date and time of access, and client file request (file name and URL). These data are collected only for the purpose of statistical evaluation. A transfer to third parties, for commercial or non-commercial purposes, does not take place.
The use of our website is usually possible without providing personal information. We only collect data that you voluntarily share with us. These data will not be disclosed to third parties without your explicit consent.
Keep in mind that data transmission over the Internet (for example, when communicating via e-mail) is subject to security vulnerabilities. Absolute protection of data from access by strangers is not possible.
How We Obtain Your Details
We will also hold information about your details so that we can respect your preferences for being contacted by us. We collect your personal information in a number of ways:
- When you provide it to us directly.
- When you provide permission to other organisations to share it with us (including social media networking or sites e.g. Facebook or Twitter).
- When we collect it as you use our website.
- When you post information online about us or provide feedback, we may keep a record.
- When you contact us directly and complain or give feedback, we will record details and all related information such as emails, letters and phone calls.
- We use CCTV in our stores for security reasons.
Which Data Do We Collect?
We collect personal data for the processing of your selected course according to the website or program booklet. A course would include attending a yoga class, seminar, or other event. It is information that is used to identify your person and can be traced back to you, including name, address, telephone number and email address.
When registering for one of our residential courses, Yoga Teacher Training, Advanced Yoga Teacher Training, Sadhana Intensive, we also collect additional data relevant to registering and conducting the course. These include health data and third party data (emergency contact). You should therefore ensure that all information relating to third parties is provided by you with the consent of such persons.
By completing an application form or registering for one of our events by email, by telephone, in person or by post, you consent to the storage and processing of your personal data for the creation, implementation and processing of your booked offer.
Use of Retreat Guru to Collect Information
We use “Retreat Guru”, a business management software, located at 303 Vernon Street, Nelson, BC, Canada. Retreat Guru (“RG”) may collect and use users personal information for the following purposes:
- To improve customer service
- Information you provide helps us respond to your customer service requests and support needs more efficiently.
- To personalize user experience
- RG may use information in the aggregate to understand how their users as a group use the services and resources provided on their site.
- RG may use the information users provide about themselves when placing an order only to provide service to that order. RG does not share this information with outside parties except to the extent necessary to provide the service.
- To run a promotion, contest, survey or other site feature
- To send users information they agreed to receive about topics we think will be of interest to them.
- RG may use the email address to send user information and updates pertaining to their order. It may also be used to respond to their inquiries, questions, and/or other requests. If user decides to opt-in to our mailing list, they will receive emails that may include company news, updates, related product or service information, etc. If at any time the user would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, RG includes detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email or user may contact them via their site.
- To inform marketing campaign, including, but not limited to google advertising and social media marketing
How Retreat Guru protects your information: they adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our site.
Sensitive and private data exchange between the site and its users happens over a SSL secured communication channel and is encrypted and protected with digital signatures.
Sharing your personal information: Retreat guru do not sell, trade, or rent users personal identification information to others. RG may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with their business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers for the purposes outlined above. RG may use third party service providers to help us operate our business and the site or administer activities on their behalf, such as sending out newsletters or surveys. RG may share your information with these third parties for those limited purposes provided that you have given us your permission.
Retreat Guru web host and server infrastructure providers are EU-US privacy shield certified companies. Retreat Guru uses a cloud based technology.
We have included a Terms of Service with Retreat Guru.
Use of Your Data for Advertising Purposes
Postal and by phone: In addition to processing your data to process your course booking, we also use this data to inform you about further offers by post. Furthermore, we use your data to inform you by telephone about courses and offers on courses that we deem of interest to you. You may revoke the use of your personal data for advertising purposes at any time.
Newsletters: In addition to processing your data to process your course booking, we also use this data to inform you about further offers through newsletters. You may revoke the use of your personal data for advertising purposes at any time.
Information About the Newsletter and Consent
This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information we receive from users subscribing to our newsletter as well as the contents of our newsletter. The policy covers distribution and statistical evaluation procedures as well as your right of objection. By subscribing to our newsletter, you agree to the receipt and the procedures described.
Content of the Newsletter
We send newsletters, e-mails and other electronic notifications with advertising information (hereinafter “newsletter”) only with the consent of the recipient or a legal permission. Incidentally, our newsletters contain information on programmes at the Ashram de Yoga Sivananda including yoga vacation, yoga further education programs, and yoga teacher training courses as well as information about offers in other Sivananda Yoga Centers worldwide. This may in particular include references to blog posts, lectures or workshops or online presence.
The registration for our newsletter takes place in a confirmed opt-in procedure. After registration, you will receive an e-mail asking you to confirm your registration. This confirmation is necessary so that nobody can register with third-party e-mail addresses. The registration for the newsletter will be logged in order to prove the registration process according to the legal requirements. This includes the storage of the login and the confirmation time, as well as the IP address. Similarly, the changes to your data stored with iContact will be logged.
You can choose to stop receiving our newsletter at any time. Every email message sent contains an “unsubscribe” link that allows you to remove yourselves from our mailing list.
Google will use this information on our behalf to evaluate the use of our online offering by users, to compile reports on the activities within this online offering and to provide us with other services related to the use of this online offer and Internet usage. In this case, pseudonymous user profiles of the processed data can be created.
We only use Google Analytics with activated IP anonymisation. This means that the IP address of the users will be shortened by Google within member states of the European Union or in other contracting states of the Agreement on the European Economic Area. Only in exceptional cases will the full IP address be sent to a Google server in the US and shortened there. The IP address submitted by the user’s browser will not be merged with other data provided by Google.Users can prevent the storage of cookies by setting their browser software accordingly; Users may also prevent the collection by Google of the data generated by the cookie and related to their use of the online offer as well as the processing of such data by Google by downloading and installing the browser plug-in available under the following link.
What are Your Rights?
The GDPR taking effect on 25th May 2018, gives you a number of rights. These are:
- Right to be informed: We are transparent over how we use your personal information
- Right of access: You can request a copy of the information we hold about you, which will be provided to you within one month
- Right of rectification: You can request that we update or amend the information we hold about you if it is wrong
- Right to restrict processing: You can request that we stop using your information
- Right to be “forgotten”: You can request that we remove your personal information from our records
- Right to object: You can object to the processing of your information for marketing purposes
However, we would like to point out that the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre is subject to legal obligations that do not allow us to delete certain information directly. These obligations result from accounting and tax laws. We may, however, block your personal information, thereby preventing processing for purposes other than those required by law.